Facebook signs up Channel 4 for API tools
Channel 4 will be able to measure Facebook engagement around its programmes in real-time after signing up to be the social network's second UK partner for its API tools.
Facebook: Channel 4 uses API service
Facebook introduced its new API (application programme interface) tools last month. The first UK partner to sign up was BSkyB, which is using the tools to display Facebook comments from viewers during 'What's The Story', its sports chat show.
Dan Rose, the vice president of partnerships at Facebook, announced the international expansion of the beta API programme at the Mipcom conference in Cannes this morning.
Broadcasters who sign up get a real-time feed of public posts, including a specific word. The service also aggregates the total number of posts that use a word or phrase as well as anonymous results by demographic group.
Channel 4 plans to include the public posts in live sports programming, including coverage of the National Football League (NFL), while its news operation will use both tools to find stories and strengthen its relationship with viewers.
The broadcaster hopes to be the first partner to create stories fed by data from Facebook.
Ally Branley, the social media marketing manager at Channel 4, said: "Social media platforms are a well-established space in which viewers discuss and can contribute to Channel 4 programmes.
"The trial of Facebook’s new Public Feed and Keyword Insight APIs, is an exciting opportunity to explore new ways of including viewers in both on-air and online experiences."
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Communications Manager, Charity, Stanmore, £30k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £26000 - £30000 per annum, Benefits: +Great Benefits, Stanmore
- EPIC COMMS PLANNING DIRECTOR POSITION - AUTOMOTIVE Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager - Digital Agency Adam Recruitment £35000 - £45000 per annum, London