Adidas blasts Andy Murray critics with 'not bad for a man with no personality' tweet
Adidas has blasted critics of Andy Murray with a sponsored tweet that celebrates the tennis star winning the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award, with a "not bad for a man with no personality" message.
Andy Murray: Wimbledon champion receives boost from sponsor after BBC triumph
The congratulatory message from his sponsor was tweeted out immediately after Murray’s victory and has now received more than 12,000 retweets, including one from Murray himself.
Murray claimed the Sports Personality of the Year award last night after a public vote and his victory comes after he has had to battle against accusations throughout his professional career that he lacks charisma.
The 26-year-old Scot’s victory at last night’s awards is confirmation that perceptions of him have turned a corner following events including him breaking down into tears after his runner-up position at the 2012 Wimbledon final, and a documentary about his life.
Murray’s growing reputation has seen him hire a branding agency to create a Roger Federer-style personalised logo that will appear in a new Adidas range and across accessories such as his Head racquets.
Even last night, Murray drew criticism for not attending the Sports Personality of the Year ceremony and instead accepted his prize at his training camp in Miami via a video link.
Murray told the BBC: "I'd like to thank all the public who voted, for giving me so much support over the last couple of years. It's made a huge difference."
Murray, who this year became the first male Briton to win a singles Wimbledon title in 77 years, beat British and Irish Lions rugby union player Leigh Halfpenny and jockey AP McCoy to the prize. Halfpenny and McCoy came second and third respectively.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire