Apple acquires photo start-up SnappyLabs to develop camera capabilities
Apple has acquired a photo start-up called SnappyLabs, the developer of an app that allowed iPhone users to take full-resolution images at up 30 frames per second.
SnappyCam: the app developed by Apple acquisition SnappyLabs
The SnappyCam app also allows users to take photos in a range of aspect ratios and zoom in up to six times on photo subjects.
SnappyLabs was set up by Australian entrepreneur John Papandriopoulos and Apple has now confirmed the acquisition, after speculation grew about a sale after the SnappyCam app was pulled from the App Store.
Apple has a track record of making acquisition of relatively small companies and integrating their technology into its products, rather than focusing on acquisitions of large technology firms.
In November, it emerged that Apple had bought 3D motion sensor technology firm PrimeSense.
Israel-based PrimeSense was responsible for the technology behind Microsoft’s Kinect sensor for the Xbox console, although Microsoft now develops the technology in-house.
Since developing the Kinect technology, PrimeSense has expanded its product range to include smaller sensors, which can be embedded in devices including smartphones and tablets.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Digital Marketing Assistant - 6 Month Contract - Milton Keynes Ninesharp £9.50 - £10.50 per hour, Milton Keynes
- EMEA Digital Marketing Manager Ninesharp £40000 - £45000 per annum, Milton Keynes