Google buys connected thermostat maker Nest Labs for £2bn
Google has made the latest in a series of start-up and tech-driven businesses with the acquisition of Nest Labs for $3.2bn (£2bn).
Tony Fadell: founder and chief executive of Nest Labs
Nest Labs was founded by Tony Fadell and Matt Rogers, two former Apple executives, and makes internet-connected thermostats and carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.
The thermostats can determine people's behaviour through room temperature and humidity, and light sensors, and can work out whether people are occupying a room or not.
It follows Google's acquisition of military robotics firm Boston Dynamics in December last year, a company founded by a former MIT professor that can make machines that run faster than humans, and of the human-gesture recognition start-up Flutter in October. The BBC's technology editor David Grossman said the latest acquisition "confirms that Google is no longer just a search engine company."
Nest is to continue under the leadership of Fadell with its own distinct brand identity, and the transaction is expected to complete in the next few months.
Larry Page, Google chief executive, said: "Nest's founders have built a tremendous team that we are excited to welcome to the Google family.
"They're already delivering amazing products you can buy right now – thermostats that save energy and smoke/CO alarms that can help keep your family safe. We're excited to bring great experiences to more homes and more countries."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire