Google patents mobile ads offering free rides to stores in self-driving cars
The US Patent and Trademark Office has granted Google a patent that will allow companies to serve ads to mobile devices, offering a free ride to their store if an algorithm works out it is cost-efficient.
Google: granted patent for mobile ads offering free transport to advertisers' stores
Google is considering using real-time information including a consumer’s location, the most likely route and form of transportation and "the consumer’s daily agenda" to compare the cost of transportation and the potential profit from a completed transaction.
If it is cost effective, an ad will be served to the consumer’s mobile device, offering them free or discounted transportation to an advertiser’s location.
The approved patent application suggests the method of transport to the location could be an "autonomous" (self-driving) car, with the suggestion coming as Google presses ahead with developing its self-driving cars.
Google envisages the technology could be used in "well developed and trafficked" locations such as
Google anticipates the service will prove popular because it says "getting a potential customer to a business location in order to conduct a sale may be one of the most difficult tasks for a business or advertiser".
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...
- Midweight Digital Designer Purple Consultancy £200 per day, London