Google acquires London-based artificial intelligence firm DeepMind
Google has brought London-based artificial intelligence start-up DeepMind for a reported $400m (£240m) as it continues its high profile acquisition spree.
DeepMind: artificial intelligence start-up is acquired by Google
DeepMind combines techniques from machine learning and systems neuroscience to build algorithms for ecommerce, simulations and games applications.
The startup is currently in "stealth" mode and was founded by Demis Hassabis, Shane Legg and Mustafa Suleyman.
Google confirmed the acquisition but would not comment on the $400m price tag reported by tech website Re/code.
The DeepMind deal comes after Google’s acquisition of eight robotic companies in the past year, with the most recent acquisition being that of Boston Dynamics, a company that makes machines that run faster than humans.
DeepMind founder Demis Hassabis has been described as a computer game designer, AI programmer, neuroscientist and a chess "child prodigy".
Prior to founding DeepMind, he set up computer games company Elixir Studios in 1998. He was CEO of the company until July 2005, running a 60-strong team and produced games for Microsoft and Vivendi Univerasl.
The studio developed games including Syndicate, Theme Park, Black and White, Republic and Evil Genius.
Hassabis was later a research fellow at UCL’s Gatsby computational neuroscience unit and worked on research papers including 'Is The Brain a Good Model For Machine Intelligence?'.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)