#SocialSummit: how brands should prepare activity on Twitter
The day after Twitter revealed it now has 241 million global active users, Oli Newton, brand and agency advocate at the social network, explained how brands needed to be using the platform in order to engage with their audiences.
Paddy Power: anti-homophobia campaign benefited from Twitter activity
"We condense it into these four things – everyday, unpredictable, live and campaign," said
"'Live' is things you know are going to be happening and know you want to be supporting,"
There were 1.9 million tweets about the event and brands, such as Paddy Power, were ready to get involved in the conversation with prepared images for when the most anticipated transfers were announced.
Hashtags are widely used by consumers during live events,
As an example of the "campaign" element,
Brands often over-focus on the "unpredictable" element of Twitter activity.
At a time when there were no openly ‘out’ footballers, Paddy Power’s campaign message said: "We don't care which team you play for."
The bookmaker used print to drive knowledge of the campaign, as well as out-of-home, identifying key influencers and getting them to tweet about the campaign, such as Gary Lineker.
The brand found that other people, such as Stephen Fry, started to become involved in the conversation on Twitter.
The "everyday" part of brand activity is what
The weather is a subject that brands have been able to get involved in.
Newtown said: "[It was Aer Lingus] understanding that they had relevance in this area as well and giving a different message to 'our flights are delayed'. Ultimately, it was the same message, but it was bracing [consumers] for when it comes."
Brands often over-focus on the "unpredictable" element of Twitter activity,
When footballer Adnan Januzaj, who reportedly earns £30,000 a week, went to Nando's for an £18 dinner on their first date, Nando’s responded by tweeting that the second date was on them and sent the couple some vouchers.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London