Cancer Research UK receives £2m donations despite not starting #nomakeupselfie trend
Cancer Research UK has received more than £2m in donations in the past 48 hours through the #nomakeupselfie online trend, despite having nothing to do with the awareness campaign.
Cancer Research UK: #nomakeupselfie trend raises £2m for the charity
On Tuesday, women started posting pictures of themselves on Facebook wearing no makeup, with the hashtag #breastcancerawareness and #nomakeupselfie.
Within hours, the trend had been picked up and started to spread, although it was met with criticism and ridicule along the way – some men and women had started posting parody pictures of themselves in full-faces of make-up.
Despite this, people have raised more than £2m for Cancer Research alone. The charity posted messages on its Facebook page stating, "Thousands of you are posting #cancerawareness #nomakeupselfie pictures and many have asked if the campaign is ours. It's not, but we love that people want to get involved!"
The statement appeared alongside a picture of one of Cancer Research's staff holding up a sign, saying: "We *heart* your #nomakupselfie! If you want to help #beatcancersooner text BEAT to 70099 to donate £3."
Carolan Davidge, director of communications at Cancer Research UK said: "Thanks to people choosing to donate to us as part of the #nomakeupselfie trend, we’ve been overwhelmed with donations and support in the past 48 hours.
"We’ve raised over £2m so far, and the #nomakeupselfie is still going strong. T
"The trend isn’t something Cancer Research UK started, so it’s been fantastic to see so many people getting involved and wanting to use their selfie to raise money for our life-saving research."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Product Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)
- Marketing Brand Manager Clipper Ventures Circa £40k - dependent on experience, South East England / South West England / Gosport, Hampshire
- Commercial Market Analyst UCAS c.£35,000 , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Customer Insight Manager Tottenham Hotspur Between £40,000-£45,000 per annum + benefits (dependant on experience), London (North), London (Greater)
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)