Brands in Turkey fall silent on Twitter in wake of PM's vow to 'wipe out' network
Brands operating in Turkey, including Coca-Cola, Samsung and Starbucks, have fallen silent on Twitter in the wake of Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's vow to "wipe out" the social network.
Turkey's top brands have ceased Twitter activity
Speaking at a rally, Erdogan reportedly told the crowd: "We will wipe out all of these. The international community can say this, can say that. Everyone will see the power of the
The attempt to block Twitter comes days ahead of local elections in
Twitter has yet to make a full statement on the subject, but told media outlets it is investigating whether it has been banned. It has posted a tweet in both English and Turkish advising how users can continue to tweet in the country via SMS.
However, so far, the country’s leading brands have halted communications on Twitter.
Since the block came into effect yesterday evening, only one of
In contrast, it appears that the country’s top brands on Twitter, including Turkish Airlines, Vodafone, Samsung and Audi, have refrained from tweeting.
These are the most recent tweets from brands at the time of publishing:
Uçak yolculugu sirasinda en çok nelere dikkat ediyorsunuz? pic.twitter.com/zyc5H2V2vC— Türk Hava Yollari (@TK_TR) March 20, 2014
Galaxy S4 kullanicilarimizin heyecanla bekledigi Android 4.4.2 Kitkat güncellemesi yayinlandi! :) pic.twitter.com/mAx1vRYGDc— Samsung Türkiye (@SamsungTurkiye) March 20, 2014
Mutlulugun tüm dünyayi sarmasi dilegiyle, Dünya Mutluluk Günü kutlu olsun. Sen de RT'le, tüm dünya mutlu olsun. pic.twitter.com/dKlzwgMapr— Coca-Cola Türkiye (@CocaCola_TR) March 20, 2014
Starbucks günün kahvesiyle Çavdarli Mini Hindi sandviçin uyumu tam da aradiginiz lezzet :) pic.twitter.com/gGgrBwH83q— Starbucks Türkiye (@StarbucksTR) March 20, 2014
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)