Stephen Fry and Martha Lane Fox welcome arrival of 'dot uk' domain
Stephen Fry and Martha Lane Fox have signed up as supporters of a social marketing campaign to promote the debut of internet domain name suffix .uk, which goes live today (10 June).
Stephen Fry: backs the launch of .uk
Not-for-profit internet registry firm Nominet, which manages all domain names ending in ".uk" – such as co.uk and org.uk – is promoting .uk as a more "progressive domain" for digital natives, businesses, organisations and individuals.
Fry, a self-confessed geek and technophile, has been an ardent supporter of .uk, having blogged about it back in 2007. Fry’s own website becomes the first to adopt the new GLTD (Generic Top-Level Domain), and from today he will be blogging about the news and promoting posts on his Twitter feed.
Created by Nominet and agency Saatchi & Saatchi, the campaign is also backed by: Lastminute co-founder Lane Fox; 18-year-old computer programmer and entrepreneur Nick D’Aloisio; and classical pianist James Rhodes - all of whom will be guest blogging on Fry’s blog.
Fry said: "All those hours I’ve spent, if you add them up, typing dot co dot uk, an extra three keystrokes that I could well have done without. Well they're over. Dot UK is finally here!"
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London