PayPal president quits business for messaging role at Facebook
PayPal's president David Marcus has said he is leaving the business this month to take up a new role at Facebook leading its messaging products business.
David Marcus: PayPal president joins Facebook
Marcus has led the eBay-owned payments business for two years. He will join Facebook as vice president of messaging products at the business.
Marcus will be in charge of Facebook's messenger service and the social network's messenger app.
His appointment follows Facebook's £19bn acquisition of free messaging service WhatsApp, which the social network has since asked the European Commission to review, for antitrust purposes.
Marcus joined PayPal three years ago after the company bought his company, Zong.
In April PayPal rolled out a new brand identity and global ad campaign to reposition the company for the "modern era" of mobile and wearable device payments.
Marcus said in a Facebook post that Mark Zuckerberg had shared a "compelling vision about Mobile Messaging" and Zuckerberg's enthusiasm, and "the unparalleled reach and consumer engagement of the Facebook platform ultimately won me over".
"I'm excited to go to Facebook to lead Messaging Products. And I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty again attempting to build something new and meaningful at scale."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/GROUP ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - shopper marketing agency - London Judi Patton £50-65k dependent on experience plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)