Sir Martin Sorrell: Don Draper wouldn't recognise adland now
Sir Martin Sorrell has reflected on the changing face of the adland ahead of Cannes, saying Don Draper from 'Mad Men' would not recognise many of the disciplines that are now vital parts of the marketing mix.
Speaking to Dan Roth, executive editor of LinkedIn as part of its Influencer series, the WPP chief executive pointed out that for the first time Cannes had awards categories for data and data visualisation.
He said: "Cannes is expanding into areas that Don Draper wouldn’t recognise. This balance of Mad Men and Maths Men, of art and science, left brain right brain is really very important and we have to understand it.
"It applies across the board so everybody inside the organisation can be creative in different ways."
Turning to the move by American Express, a WPP client, to shift its online media spend to programmatic buying, Sorrell said programmatic would become "more important".
According to Sorrell, Amex was a "very good example of a company that’s been extremely sophisticated in the online area and the development of data and application of technology into their business."
He singled out its CMO John Hayes and chief executive Kenneth Chenault as being in the "forefront of building their reputation online".
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)