Dixons Carphone branding slammed by marketing community
When we published our story that Dixons and Carphone Warehouse were uniting to become Dixons Carphone, we thought it might be popular, but we were not quite ready for the response from our Twitter following.
It wasn't long before our followers starting giving their opinions. Some thought it didn't really fit the brand.
@MarketingUK Their new logo looks like a health insurance company for retirees. Abysmal.
— Ryan (@ryan_social) August 7, 2014
Others didn't feel it spoke to this century.
@MarketingUK is the concept of a carphone a good idea anymore? Not sure about this..— jamie sergeant (@JamieSergeant) August 7, 2014
@MarketingUK They could have ditched the 'Carphone' for a start, it's not 1988 any more they've invented penalty points since!— Colm Halpin (@Colm_Halpin) August 7, 2014
@MarketingUK Why on earth would Dixons rebrand as "Carphone" - it's beyond illogical brand thinking..quite surreal. Are we back in the 80's?— Jemima Bird (@jpd26) August 7, 2014
While others pointed out that sticking to legacy has not harmed other businesses.
@MarketingUK Apple don't sell fruit so why is the word 'carphone' a problem? You can't bin strong brand recognition.— mike butler (@MikeButlerUK) August 7, 2014
Some offered some (apparently) much needed advice.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)