Dixons Carphone branding slammed by marketing community
When we published our story that Dixons and Carphone Warehouse were uniting to become Dixons Carphone, we thought it might be popular, but we were not quite ready for the response from our Twitter following.
It wasn't long before our followers starting giving their opinions. Some thought it didn't really fit the brand.
@MarketingUK Their new logo looks like a health insurance company for retirees. Abysmal.
— Ryan (@ryan_social) August 7, 2014
Others didn't feel it spoke to this century.
@MarketingUK is the concept of a carphone a good idea anymore? Not sure about this..— jamie sergeant (@JamieSergeant) August 7, 2014
@MarketingUK They could have ditched the 'Carphone' for a start, it's not 1988 any more they've invented penalty points since!— Colm Halpin (@Colm_Halpin) August 7, 2014
@MarketingUK Why on earth would Dixons rebrand as "Carphone" - it's beyond illogical brand thinking..quite surreal. Are we back in the 80's?— Jemima Bird (@jpd26) August 7, 2014
While others pointed out that sticking to legacy has not harmed other businesses.
@MarketingUK Apple don't sell fruit so why is the word 'carphone' a problem? You can't bin strong brand recognition.— mike butler (@MikeButlerUK) August 7, 2014
Some offered some (apparently) much needed advice.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/GROUP ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - shopper marketing agency - London Judi Patton £50-65k dependent on experience plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)