American Apparel accused of 'rampant sexism' with 'back to school' range
American Apparel has been accused of "fuelling Lolita fantasies" with its latest campaign showing semi-clad young women.
The fashion brand, no stranger to controversy, posted a picture of a young female model in a mini-skirt leaning over a car on its UK Instagram feed, provoking the ire of social media users.
A blogger called Emilie, who runs the anygirlfriday.com blog, spotted the post and tweeted about it, stating: "American Apparel - their 'back to school' skirts fuelling Lolita fantasies and rampant sexism a plenty."
She added: "The way in which American Apparel objectify and sexualise female bodies is damaging and rooted in patriarchal notions about a woman's worth."
The images were subsequently removed from American Apparel’s Twitter and Instagram feeds.
American Apparel - their 'back to school' skirts fuelling Lolita fantasies and rampant sexism a plenty ?? pic.twitter.com/CzmY6KSXDz— Em (@anygirlfriday) August 6, 2014
American Apparel has often caused controversy with its advertising. In 2011, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) criticised the brand over a series of "gratuitous" and "overtly sexual" images on its website.
The ASA also branded the retailer "irresponsible" in 2009 for a print ad showing a young woman partially naked.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London