Keith Weed: we need to suck in the best creative talent
Creativity has never been more important, according to Keith Weed, the chief marketing and communications officer at Unilever, speaking at the Cannes Lions festival.
Keith Weed: the chief marketing and communications officer at Unilever
In a keynote session this afternoon Weed talked about how marketing has changed during his 30 years in it and what the industry needs to do to take advantage of the change.
Weed said: "I have three asks to the team at Unilever and the companies we work with and the industry, as we can’t do alone. Collectively, we need to make industry easier to operate in. We need to simply the landscape.
"Secondly, unlocking creative talent. We need to collaborate with new talent and recognise and reward. It’s never been so important. We need to suck the best creative talent into this industry and recognise and reward it.
"Then, we need to lead with brands and not by channels. We need to find ways to orchestrate an integrated approach. Then we’ll be marketing for people, rather than to people or with people."
Unilever and Google track hair-related searches to predict trends and produce content that people want.
Weed said: "[All Things Hair] is a really cool application of big data. We talk about big data but it’s actually big insight. Compare to me travelling around the world washing buckets [to learn about washing powder in 2006].
"This is only possible because it was done by one media channel. The challenge we need is to see the whole picture. We need to work on how we can collaborate across the industry. We need to build on the whole story and not just data insight."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)