The annual hype fest of The X Factor is back dominating TV screens and front pages.
Shortly before heading off on holiday, Ed Miliband's office sent an email to shadow ministers asking for 'story ideas' with which to seize headlines during August's silly season.
Religion and money lenders have long endured a tortured relationship, with one's attitude to the other often characterised as hypocritical by those who view the wealth of established churches as at odds with their teachings.
PR professionals don't lie, do we? Of course not. In our clients' interests we may see truth as a many splendour'd thing, sometimes to be viewed through a prism held at oblique angles to the light.
Is the bubble about to burst for royal cheeky girl Pippa Middleton?
The sting is now the media's weapon of choice, the guided missile they select from their post-Levesonian armoury to ravage reputation and to restore their own.
Type into Google the phrase 'passionate about what we do', accompanied by 'PR', and a couple of dozen PR companies will pop up declaring the same term of endearment for their work and their clients.
In 1986 when Alex Ferguson became Manchester United manager, the club had a value of £15m, a sum that might buy a decent midfield player today.
Quite aside from the recent dramas, it's fair to say Max Clifford is one of the more controversial characters in our business. Among his peers he often polarises opinion.
In a week when the profession's reputation and standing in the eyes of Joe Public sank lower than a snake's armpit, it has been hard to shake the feeling that many PR people are indeed cobblers' children.
Comment & blogs
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Client Director - Digital Agency - London £50-65k Adam Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Camden, London (Greater)
- Neolane Campaign Manager PFJ £300 - £400 per day, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital Marketing Operations Jarlett de Grouchy £45000 - £55000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager - consumer products ADLIB £38000 - £43000 per annum, Cornwall
- Your next role selling to media agencies! Ultimate Asset £23000 - £25000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)