Star launches TV ad as part of rejuvenation effort
Star, the Northern & Shell-owned magazine, has launched a TV ad in a bid led by the new editor, Jonathan Bown, to reinvigorate the magazine and emphasise its value for money.
The ad was made entirely in-house at 5Creative and was directed by Mike Sumpter. Steve Monk edited the ad, and the director of photography was Gareth Munden.
The 30-second TV spot features glamorous lab coat-clad staff feeding champagne, high heels, fake tan, and a small dog into the "Star-O-Matic" magazine machine.
The machine generates stories as dials measure the magazine's "valueness" and warn of "celebrity overload".
The end frame reveals the finished product – the week's magazine and "100% concentrated celebrity news".
Launching today, the ad follows last week's figures from the Audit Bureau of Circulations that revealed a tough six months for the celebrity magazine sector in the first half of the year.
Star magazine suffered a 22.5 per cent decrease in circulation year on year in the first six months of 2013, with a 223,681 average circulation per issue for the period. However, the decline at rival Reveal was even steeper, down 25.8 per cent.
Bown, who started at the magazine in April, said: "Working with the team at 5Creative has been a real pleasure, and they've pulled together an ad that truly represents what Star is all about.
"Not only does it provide a great platform to showcase our great celebrity news stories, it also drives home the message that Star is the best-value celeb weekly on the news stand – and that, unlike some of our rivals, we don't take ourselves too seriously.
"Not only is the magazine packed with celebrity exclusives week after week – we also deliver a terrific read in terms of our lifestyle offering."
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Marketing Manager - Entertainments Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance , South East England
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...