Festive magazine covers: Santa returns to Radio Times
Father Christmas made a comeback on magazine covers this year with his first appearance on the front of Radio Times since 2009, when he was banished as a "symbol of indulgence" during tight times.
If the return of Santa's rosy-cheeked smile to TV listings magazines is anything to go by, austerity might well be over.
IPC Media's TV Times and TV & Satellite Week featured similar hand-drawn images of Old Saint Nick, which contrasted with Time Out's "c-word" cover where Santa seemed to be sporting some seriously enhanced eyelashes.
Indulgence was the theme of Immediate Media's BBC Good Food and IPC Media's Woman & Home's Feel Good Food this year, showcasing sumptuous deserts with lashings of glitter and sparkle.
Home interests magazines also kept covers decadent – despite a white colour theme on Hearst Magazines UK's Country Living and IPC Media's Livingetc – drawing all eyes to the scene-stealing Christmas trees.
Woman & Home's deluxe December issue opted for a golden bauble wreath in place of the usual cover star. Its rival Hearst Magazines UK's Good Housekeeping kept to its usual Christmas formula, with Kirstie Allsopp, a Christmas tree and bundles of presents.
Most magazines adopted the Christmas "bumper issue" trend, including IPC Media's Nuts and Bauer Media's Closer, although their attempts at festive spirit went little further than red crushed-velvet accessories.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire