Rajar Q1 2014: Magic secures lead over Capital in London radio battle
Bauer Media-owned Magic 105.4 has won the race for London's most popular commercial radio station title, propelling it into the top spot for the first time since 2012.
Neil Fox: breakfast presenter on Magic 105.4
Magic's 10.6 per cent increase in listeners since the previous quarter gave the station a strong foothold against Global Radio's Capital FM, which lost 11.5 per cent of its weekly reach in the same quarter.
But while Magic's 1.94 million-strong audience was helped by its breakfast presenter Neil Fox's 895,000 weekly listeners, Foxy still has some way to go to match Dave Berry and Lisa Snowdon's winning partnership over at 95.8 Capital FM.
The pair pulled in 923,000 listeners each week in the same period, contributing to Capital's total weekly reach of just over 1.9 million.
Year on year, Magic recorded gradual improvement, with a 4.4 per cent rise in its weekly reach on the first quarter in 2013. This compared to a 2.2 per cent dip in the same period for Capital.
However, the two leaders are hotly pursued by Kiss 100, which recorded 1.84 million listeners in the three months to 15 March, bolstered by the 799,000-strong weekly audience tuning into Rickie, Melvin and Charlie's breakfast show.
Kiss 100, which is owned by Bauer Media, was the only one of the top three London commercial stations to gain double-digit growth since the first quarter of 2013, with a 13.6 per cent hike year on year in its weekly reach.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- MARKETING MANAGER - Fashion Success Digital negotiable, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing - SyFy NBC Universal Competitive, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Dynamic New Alliances £39000.00 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager - Hot Beverages Stopgap £42000 - £55000 per annum + car + benefits, South East England