'TV can learn from advertising' says Sir Peter Bazalgette
Sir Peter Bazalgette, the chairman of The Arts Council, has said TV has a huge amount to learn from the advertising industry.
Sir Peter Bazalgette: interviewed on Campaign's Talking Inspiration series
Speaking exclusively to Campaign in episode two of new series ‘Talking Inspiration’, Bazalgette explains that it was due to advertising that he became the first person in television to call himself a creative director.
He said: "I decided we had to steal the ideas of the ad industry and I announced that my job title from 1998 was creative director. Was a massive piece of vanity and marketing.
"I think television has a huge amount to learn from advertising, and I’ve thought that for about 15 years."
The former chairman of Endemol said the creativity that interests him is the opportunity to start an idea from scratch, as it’s "not the execution of the idea, but the origination of the idea" that excites him.
Despite conceding that he is jealous of people in advertising and would have enjoyed a career in the industry, Bazalgette says there’s a profound difference between the two, with those working in advertising limited by a "30-second mindset".
He says people working in advertising think in soundbites, as opposed to people working in TV who consider longer-form content.
"The mindset of marketing a product is quite different to wanting to create a piece of entertainment," he commented.
To watch the full interview and mini-episodes, click here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Digital Account Executive The Little Black Book Agency £16000 - £18000 per annum, Lancashire
- In-House Graphic Designer Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Insight Director, Technology & Financial Jarlett de Grouchy £65000.00 - £80000.00 per annum + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Sales Executive - Performance & Brand - Emerging Tech Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)