'TV can learn from advertising' says Sir Peter Bazalgette
Sir Peter Bazalgette, the chairman of The Arts Council, has said TV has a huge amount to learn from the advertising industry.
Sir Peter Bazalgette: interviewed on Campaign's Talking Inspiration series
Speaking exclusively to Campaign in episode two of new series ‘Talking Inspiration’, Bazalgette explains that it was due to advertising that he became the first person in television to call himself a creative director.
He said: "I decided we had to steal the ideas of the ad industry and I announced that my job title from 1998 was creative director. Was a massive piece of vanity and marketing.
"I think television has a huge amount to learn from advertising, and I’ve thought that for about 15 years."
The former chairman of Endemol said the creativity that interests him is the opportunity to start an idea from scratch, as it’s "not the execution of the idea, but the origination of the idea" that excites him.
Despite conceding that he is jealous of people in advertising and would have enjoyed a career in the industry, Bazalgette says there’s a profound difference between the two, with those working in advertising limited by a "30-second mindset".
He says people working in advertising think in soundbites, as opposed to people working in TV who consider longer-form content.
"The mindset of marketing a product is quite different to wanting to create a piece of entertainment," he commented.
To watch the full interview and mini-episodes, click here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Annual Report Project Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £180 - £200 per day, London
- Agency Account Manager - email marketing Stopgap £28000 - £29000 per annum, London
- PHP Developer Better Placed Recruitment £25000 - £35000 per annum, Manchester
- Global Head of Social Media EMR £80000 - £90000 per annum, Slough