Global internet display spend up 27%
Online display expenditure climbed 27 per cent in the first half of 2013, while TV and outdoor were the only other platforms where spend increased, according to the latest global report from Nielsen.
Media: per cent change year to date
Spending on internet display reported the biggest jump in the half year, rising 27 per cent globally year on year. This continued the trend of previous reports – spend on internet display increased 26.3 per cent in the first quarter in isolation.
The figures, from Nielsen’s quarterly Global AdView Pulse report covering Q1 and Q2, also showed that TV spend was up 4.2 per cent. TV maintained its dominant share of expenditure, accounting for 57.6 per cent of total ad spend.
Spend on outdoor media increased five per cent year on year to make up 18.9 per cent of total ad spend over the six months. Outdoor was the only platform with increased spend in all the regions measured by the report.
Excluding TV, traditional media platforms recorded small declines. Spending on newspapers (down two per cent) magazines (down 1.9 per cent) and radio (down 0.9 per cent) all declined in the first half of the year.
Cinema was the hardest-hit platform, with spend in cinemas dropping 5.9 percent after expenditure fell in all regions except Latin America.
Randall Beard, the global head of advertiser solutions for Nielsen, said: "It’s clear that advertisers are wisely maximizing their opportunities to reach consumers across platforms, with TV ad dollars showing no signs of slowing and noteworthy increases in internet adspend.
"Recognising the usage habits of consumers to best reach them through increased exposure is the savvy marketer’s game plan to make those messages hit home."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Freelance Account Managers / Senior Account Managers, £NEG Fill Recruitment Ltd Negotiable, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 per annum, London
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London