Sky's pre-tax profits fall 18% as marketing costs rise
BSkyB's pre-tax profits declined by 18 per cent year on year to £527 million in the last six months of 2013, as marketing costs increased by 13 per cent amid its pay TV battle with BT.
Sky: pre-tax profits fall 18%
According to Sky's results for 1 July to 31 December, the pay TV giant's total revenue was £3.76 million, up 6.3 per cent year on year. Ad revenue, meanwhile, was £231 million, up 7.4 per cent year on year.
Sky said its ad revenue benefited from the post-Olympics increase in the ad market, an increase in Sky's share of the ad market and also the contribution of AdSmart, its new targeted TV ad service.
Although Sky's reported pre-tax profits were £527 million, down 17.9 per cent year on year, its adjusted profit before tax was £554 million, down 9.2 per cent year on year.
The adjusted figures strip out the benefit of retailing ESPN the previous year.
Marketing costs during the half-year were £613 million, up 13 per cent year on year due to the 42 per cent increase in growth of paid-for products in the first half and "strong customer response" to its investment in connected services.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Marketing Partnerships Director PFJ £40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- Assistant Category Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £27000 - £30000 per annum + + Bonus + Benefits, London