Absolute Radio signs Jon Champion for new football season
Absolute Radio has appointed BBC and ITV sports broadcaster Jon Champion to lead the station's Barclays Premier League coverage for the 2014/2015 season.
Jon Champion: to spearhead Absolute Radio's Barclays Premier League coverage
The signing confirms Absolute Radio's continued commitment to football following its acquisition by Bauer Media last year. Absolute's football coverage sits alongside the station's other so-called "core brand pillars", music and comedy.
Champion, known by many gamers around the world as the voice of Pro Evolution Soccer, began his career at BBC Radio York in the 1980s, but has not been on radio since 1995.
He went on to become one of the senior commentators on the BBC's 'Match of the Day' as well as being a commentator for Setanta Sports and ESPN.
His move to Absolute was brokered with USP Content, who will also continue to produce the programme with Absolute Radio.
In other moves, former Premier League defender and PFA chairman Clarke Carlisle will become the station's regular co-commentator for the 3pm games every Saturday, joining former Arsenal player Ian Wright and presenters Russ Williams and comedian Ian Stone.
Champion and Carlisle will both be on air from 1.30pm for the build-up show with Russ Williams, before providing live commentary from 3pm. As well as the featured game, they will also keep listeners up to date with all of the day’s scores, team news and more from the Premier League and beyond.
After the live match coverage, Champion will hand over to Ian Wright and comedian Ian Stone, for a unique mix of post-match entertainment from 5pm to 7pm, with reaction from the teams, fans, celebrities and football friends on the phone and via twitter @RnRFootball.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London