'Leading Ladies' will continue, hints M&S marketing chief as profits fall again
Marks & Spencer's marketing director Patrick Bousquet-Chavanne suggested its "leading ladies" campaign will continue, ahead of the retailer reporting falling profits for the third year in a row.
M&S: Leading Ladies campaign appears set to continue
The struggling retailer reported its underlying pre-tax profit decreased by 3.9 per cent to £623 million, for the year to 29 March. Although general merchandise sales fell 1.4 per cent, clothing sales increased by 0.6 per cent.
The "leading ladies" campaign, created by Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R, promotes M&S’s women’s clothing range with celebrities including Annie Lennox, Emma Thompson and Rachel Khoo.
It was criticised this morning on BBC Radio 4’s 'Today' programme for being "baffling" and featuring women most members of the public wouldn’t recognise.
When Campaign asked about the future of 'Leading Ladies', Bousquet-Chavanne, who took over in February, said: "I won’t disclose our promotional plan, but why would we move away from something that’s working?"
Bousquet-Chavanne, whose full title is executive director, marketing and business development, said: "Marketing is a core element of any business performance and how we are able to connect with consumers."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London