Sky pulls the plug on online music service
BSkyB is to close its online music streaming and download service Sky Songs in February due to disappointing customer take-up.
Sky Songs: lack of demand leads to closure
Sky Songs was launched last October aimed at all consumers, not just Sky customers.
It initially offered a £6.49 per month package of unlimited ad-free online streaming plus 10 song downloads, from a selection of more than four million tunes.
It currently has an offer of £4.99 per month for unlimited online streaming plus five song downloads.
Sky has written to customers to tell them the service will close on 7 February. The broadcaster has reassured consumers they will not need to make any further payments, and that the closure will not affect any music downloads they have already bought.
A Sky spokesperson said: "We’ve taken the difficult decision to close Sky Songs. Although we are extremely proud of the service we built and the experience it offers, we just didn’t see the consumer demand we’d hoped for."
"As Sky Songs demonstrates, we’re a business that takes risks and innovates, but at the same time, we’re pragmatic and act decisively when a new venture isn’t working out."
By removing a competitor from the market, the closure is likely to favour more established services such as iTunes and Spotify. However, it also casts further doubt on the viability of online music after the extent of Spotify's losses during 2009 were revealed last month.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London