Sky pulls the plug on online music service
BSkyB is to close its online music streaming and download service Sky Songs in February due to disappointing customer take-up.
Sky Songs: lack of demand leads to closure
Sky Songs was launched last October aimed at all consumers, not just Sky customers.
It initially offered a £6.49 per month package of unlimited ad-free online streaming plus 10 song downloads, from a selection of more than four million tunes.
It currently has an offer of £4.99 per month for unlimited online streaming plus five song downloads.
Sky has written to customers to tell them the service will close on 7 February. The broadcaster has reassured consumers they will not need to make any further payments, and that the closure will not affect any music downloads they have already bought.
A Sky spokesperson said: "We’ve taken the difficult decision to close Sky Songs. Although we are extremely proud of the service we built and the experience it offers, we just didn’t see the consumer demand we’d hoped for."
"As Sky Songs demonstrates, we’re a business that takes risks and innovates, but at the same time, we’re pragmatic and act decisively when a new venture isn’t working out."
By removing a competitor from the market, the closure is likely to favour more established services such as iTunes and Spotify. However, it also casts further doubt on the viability of online music after the extent of Spotify's losses during 2009 were revealed last month.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...