P&G moves Gillette global creative account into Grey
Procter & Gamble has moved its global Gillette advertising account into WPP's Grey, ending a relationship with BBDO of nearly five decades.
Gillette: masters of style by BBDO
Grey triumphed against Omnicom’s BBDO and the other finalist, Publicis Groupe’s Saatchi & Saatchi, ending the shaving brand’s 47-year relationship with BBDO.
The review kicked off in September 2012 and initially covered the estimated $150m (£97m) North America ad business, but expanded to incorporate a global brief. It has been reported that Grey could now earn an annual fee of $50m (£32.3m).
Grey’s pitch was led through its New York office, but the win is expected to have significant impact on the UK office, with Grey London becoming responsible for the brand’s advertising in Europe. P&G spent £13m on media for Gillette in the UK in the year to September 2012, through various media agencies.
A three-month handover period will now take place, during which the EU Transfer of Undertakings (TUPE) directive could be enforced, meaning that Grey could become responsible for some of BBDO’s workforce who worked on the Gillette account.
The account covers Gillette’s men's razors, shave preparation products, razor blades, skin care and deodorant.
BBDO has handled the worldwide creative account since it bought the Clyne Maxon agency in 1966. It created the well-known 'The Best a Man Get' slogan, which first appeared in a 1989 Super Bowl ad.
Recent campaigns include ‘Masters of Style’ TV spot which aired around the world, starring Adrien Brody, Gael García Bernal and André 3000.
The win does not currently affect Gillette’s media arrangements, including US media buying held by Starcom Mediavest Group.Follow @LouiseRidley
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Director - FMCG & Retail to £55k Network Career Consultants £48000 - £55000 per annum, City of London
- Account Director - B2B & B2C to £65k Network Career Consultants £55000 - £65000 per annum, City of London