P&G moves Gillette global creative account into Grey
Procter & Gamble has moved its global Gillette advertising account into WPP's Grey, ending a relationship with BBDO of nearly five decades.
Gillette: masters of style by BBDO
Grey triumphed against Omnicom’s BBDO and the other finalist, Publicis Groupe’s Saatchi & Saatchi, ending the shaving brand’s 47-year relationship with BBDO.
The review kicked off in September 2012 and initially covered the estimated $150m (£97m) North America ad business, but expanded to incorporate a global brief. It has been reported that Grey could now earn an annual fee of $50m (£32.3m).
Grey’s pitch was led through its New York office, but the win is expected to have significant impact on the UK office, with Grey London becoming responsible for the brand’s advertising in Europe. P&G spent £13m on media for Gillette in the UK in the year to September 2012, through various media agencies.
A three-month handover period will now take place, during which the EU Transfer of Undertakings (TUPE) directive could be enforced, meaning that Grey could become responsible for some of BBDO’s workforce who worked on the Gillette account.
The account covers Gillette’s men's razors, shave preparation products, razor blades, skin care and deodorant.
BBDO has handled the worldwide creative account since it bought the Clyne Maxon agency in 1966. It created the well-known 'The Best a Man Get' slogan, which first appeared in a 1989 Super Bowl ad.
Recent campaigns include ‘Masters of Style’ TV spot which aired around the world, starring Adrien Brody, Gael García Bernal and André 3000.
The win does not currently affect Gillette’s media arrangements, including US media buying held by Starcom Mediavest Group.Follow @LouiseRidley
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Data Journalist PRISM Highly Competitive, London
- Shopper Insights Manager PepsiCo negotiable, Theale
- CMI Director Ball & Hoolahan £95,000 + Car/Car Allowance , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Director or Group Account Director, 1 year maternity cover contract, £350 a day MODA consult Up to £350 a day! , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director or Senior Account Director, Social Media - up to £65k, permanent MODA consult up to £65k + excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)