CANNES 2013: Emery talks McLaren and the importance of adapting
Nick Emery, the global chief executive of WPP's Mindshare, has underlined the importance of adapting and embracing the creativity that involves.
Partnering with Formula 1 racing's McLaren team, he used the elite sport as the embodiment of adaptive behaviour, with different skills coming together, interpreting, augmenting and creatively iterating to succeed in a changing environment.
Emery said: "McClaren is really a technology organisation that happens to be a F1 winner.
"We as companies have to change ourselves almost as often as a F1 car. We have to change ourselves every year. We have a changing customer that we have to target in an individual way and we have a changing pitch process that goes on almost as long as an F1 season.
"Data is there to give us results. It’s there to give us behavioural change based on real lives, and to give us tangible results that can add value."
Presenting with Mindshare on stage in Cannes yesterday, Ron Dennis, the McLaren chairman, said the brand was founded upon teamwork, adaptivity and creativity.
Dennis said: "If you stand still, you fall. F1 is a sport that doesn’t take prisoners. In 30 years (since McLaren’s existence) 106 F1 teams have come and gone, because they haven’t understood the importance of competition."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London