CANNES 2013: Emery talks McLaren and the importance of adapting
Nick Emery, the global chief executive of WPP's Mindshare, has underlined the importance of adapting and embracing the creativity that involves.
Partnering with Formula 1 racing's McLaren team, he used the elite sport as the embodiment of adaptive behaviour, with different skills coming together, interpreting, augmenting and creatively iterating to succeed in a changing environment.
Emery said: "McClaren is really a technology organisation that happens to be a F1 winner.
"We as companies have to change ourselves almost as often as a F1 car. We have to change ourselves every year. We have a changing customer that we have to target in an individual way and we have a changing pitch process that goes on almost as long as an F1 season.
"Data is there to give us results. It’s there to give us behavioural change based on real lives, and to give us tangible results that can add value."
Presenting with Mindshare on stage in Cannes yesterday, Ron Dennis, the McLaren chairman, said the brand was founded upon teamwork, adaptivity and creativity.
Dennis said: "If you stand still, you fall. F1 is a sport that doesn’t take prisoners. In 30 years (since McLaren’s existence) 106 F1 teams have come and gone, because they haven’t understood the importance of competition."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)