JOMO, or the joy of missing out
In the latest in our Forward 50 trends series, Nicola Kemp examines the pleasure of staying in, switching off and disengaging.
In the always-on, multiscreening, stressed-out, over-hyped and time-pressured digital age, JOMO (joy of missing out) is a key trend. The pleasure of staying in, switching off and disengaging from the world around us cannot be underestimated.
Entrepreneur Anil Dash, who coined the phrase, explains: "There can, and should, be a blissful, serene enjoyment in knowing, and celebrating, that there are folks out there having the time of their lives doing something that you might have loved too, but are simply skipping."
For brands and agencies that have developed an unhealthy reliance on "generation over-share" and consumers frantically uploading their every interaction onto multiple social networks, JOMO may prove a headache.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London