GM axes Chevrolet brand in Europe to focus on 'respected' Opel and Vauxhall
General Motors (GM) has revealed it is to axe its Chevrolet brand in Europe, despite significant efforts to raise awareness of the marque across the continent.
The manufacturer said it will focus efforts on its "respected" Opel and Vauxhall brands, to reduce "market complexity" in the light of a "difficult economic situation" in
GM has been selling re-badged Daewoo models under the Chevrolet brand in Europe since 2005, positioning it as an entry-level, discount marque competing with the likes of Kia and Renault-owned
It has also signed lengthy sponsorship deals with Premier League football clubs Liverpool and Manchester United, including a deal to become the latter’s shirt sponsor from the 2014/15 season – with both sponsorships understood to be unaffected by the announcement.
Sales have stalled, even in the buoyant
As a result, the decision has been taken to focus efforts elsewhere, including on the reintroduction of its premium Cadillac marque.
Dan Akerson, GM’s chairman and chief executive, said: "
"This is a win for all four brands. It’s especially positive for car buyers throughout
GM confirmed it would continue to support Chevrolet with after-sales services for existing customers.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London