Twitter's top ten Christmas gifts: iPhone triumphs over PlayStation and Xbox
The iPhone claimed top spot and trumped the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One as the most desired Christmas gift based on Twitter chatter, according to research from We Are Social.
Apple iPhone: the most desired Christmas gift gauged by Twitter chatter
Apple looks set to dominate Christmas with three products in the top ten most-desired gifts, based on an analysis of Twitter between 1 October and 5 December.
Twitter was scanned for multiple search queries, including "I want", "must have", "would love", "Christmas present" and "wish list", with competition and "win" tweets excluded to ascertain the products generating the most hype.
The iPhone had almost twice as many mentions as the second most-desired product, the PlayStation 4, with the products receiving 5,600 and 3,180 mentions respectively.
The iPhone mentions included references to all iPhone models.
Lego and the Furby toy were the only non-gadgets to break into the top ten most desirable Christmas gifts.
Ed Kitchingman, senior analyst at We Are Social said: "It’s no surprise that gadgets will be dominating Christmas gift lists this year, and according to social media, Apple has the edge on its competitors.
"The festive season is the holy grail for many product marketers, who will be hoping they’ve done enough throughout the year to make sure they get that all-important spot on the Christmas list. Still, in the age of high-tech gadgets, it’s great to see Lego in there still holding its own. Some things never go out of fashion."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Manager - Communication/ Branding to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London