'Generation Expectation' ultra-consumers
Members of this group come with the belief that every aspect of their lives is governed by a consumer economy, writes Nicola Kemp in the latest in our Forward 50 trends series.
A lecturer at one of the UK’s top universities has complained that there is a tendency among her students to see their education as a consumer transaction and expect everything on their own terms and to their own schedule – in many ways demonstrating a huge sense of entitlement to what they view as "their 2:1".
When students are paying, on average, £8500 a year in tuition fees, it is easy to see where this heightened expectation comes from. Yet education requires skill and commitment, not just cold, hard cash.
However, it is not just universities that are feeling the pressure of this generation of "ultra-consumers". Whether dealing with a government, a charity or an NGO, members of this group come with the belief that every aspect of their lives is governed by a consumer economy – in which they believe they have all the buying power and attendant control.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London