John Hegarty's creative pick of 2013: Paddy Power's anti-homophobia rainbow laces
"Why create a campaign when you can start a revolution? Paddy Power's 'Kick homophobia out of football' is a case in point."
Sir John Hegarty
"Brilliantly simple: do something that elevates the brand beyond the competition and turn it into a movement. Everyone wins - the issue, the brand and football. All done on a shoelace, literally. I love it."
Every footballer at the 134 professional clubs in the UK was sent rainbow-coloured bootlaces as part of a campaign asking footballers to show their support for gay players. Paddy Power partnered equality charity Stonewall for the "Right behind gay footballers" campaign that aimed to "shine the spotlight on homophobia in football".
Clients: Sebastian Bell, sports sponsorship manager, and Michael Afflick, sports brand manager, Paddy Power.
Agencies: Crispin Porter & Bogusky and Lucky Generals
Hegarty's BBH highlight: Lynx Apollo
"When looking at BBH work, what makes this great is not just the work, but the fact that the product - Lynx Apollo - started as a communication idea, instead of the idea coming out of the product. That is probably why this is one of the most successful launches Lynx/Axe has ever undertaken."
The excitement around the Red Bull space-jump was tapped into by Lynx with a competition for its Apollo variant that is fronted by former astronaut Buzz Aldrin and will send one fan into space.
A "nothing beats an astronaut" strapline is used to convey the premise that the ultimate way to win the dating game is to become an astronaut.
Client: Tomas Macenaro, global vice-president, Axe.
Creatives: David Kolbusz, Gary McCreadie, Diego Oliveira, Caio Giannella and Wesley Hawes.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London