Asda reveals new high-street format as convenience battle heightens
Asda is trialling a new high-street store format, as it seeks to challenge Tesco and Sainsbury's in the burgeoning convenience grocery market.
Asda: supermarket giant is moving into the convenience store sector
The retailer has refitted a 4,000 square-foot 'Asda Supermarket'-branded store in Woodseats in
The store, a former Netto which has been branded Asda since 2011, includes innovations such as "Click and Collect" storage and collection points, as well as enhanced food-to-go and bakery offerings.
Asda chief executive Andy Clarke told The Grocer: "With this store in
It forms a wider part of Asda’s belated attempt to muscle into the convenience sector. Last month, it was revealed the supermarket partnered with Transport for
At Asda’s third-quarter results presentation last month, Clarke conceded the retailer is considering opening convenience stores, but will only do so towards the end of the five-year plan once it has reinforced its commitment to price.
Clarke said: "I’m passionate that we don’t compromise our value position, which some [other supermarkets] maybe have done with the formation of convenience stores in their retail chains."
Research firm Mintel estimates that the
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Digital Account Director Twist Recruitment £50000.00 - £55000.00 per annum + great benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Brand Manager - Drinks Trace c. £58k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / Surrey / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West)...
- Senior International Agency Sales Manager - Mobile Salt £70000 per annum + strong bonus and great bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Research Director - Consumer Tech Trace £80k to £110k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), Londo...
- Head of Marketing The RSA Circa £60,000 per annum (commensurate with skills and experience) + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)