Asda value push challenges 'expensive' Aldi and Lidl
Asda has sounded the bell for another bout of value-based January marketing among UK supermarkets, vowing to invest £50m in price promotions that will make discounters such as Aldi look "expensive".
Asda: launches value-based marketing campaign this month
The Walmart-owned supermarket said it would reduce products from major grocery and FMCG brands such as Kingsmill, Heinz, Flash and Domestos, to as little as 50p. Fresh foods including meat and vegetables will also be significantly reduced in price.
The value message will be supported with an above-the-line campaign created by VCCP Blue.
It comes on the back of data from market analyst Kantar, which showed that over 50% of the UK population shopped at either Aldi or Lidl in the 12 weeks to 8 December.
Barry Williams, chief merchandising officer for food at Asda, said the supermarket will guarantee prices 10% cheaper than the competition, and will do so through "simple and honest pricing" rather than "confusing" vouchering schemes.
Williams said: "It goes without saying that Christmas can be a struggle financially and when you look at the way people have reacted to the sales, it’s more clear than ever that UK shoppers’ priorities are well and truly focused on price. With hundreds of products at 50p, we’re even making the Poundshop and Aldi look expensive."
Separately, Asda recently revealed it is trialling a new high-street store format, as it seeks to challenge Tesco and Sainsbury's in the burgeoning convenience grocery market.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire