Premium car brands drive growth as UK car sales reach pre-recession high
UK annual car sales have reached their highest levels since before the recession, with premium brands such as Audi and Land Rover leading the charge, according to figures published today.
Ford Fiesta: the UK's biggest-selling car
The Society for Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) has released data showing new car sales in the
The total number of registrations, over 2.2 million, represents the automotive industry’s best return since 2007.
Ford remained the
However, the brands enjoying the biggest surge in sales were high-end marques such as Audi (up 15% year on-year), Land Rover (12%), Jaguar (15%) and Mercedes-Benz (19%).
The SMMT said there was a continued consumer shift towards smaller "mini" and "supermini" segment vehicles. Meanwhile, registrations of hybrid and plug-in cars rose 20.5% year on year, albeit from a low base to 32,715 units.
Mike Hawes, SMMT chief executive, said: "With its best year since a pre-recession 2007, the
"We expect new car registrations to remain stable in 2014 as customers return to a more regular replacement cycle."
|MARQUE||2013||Year-on-year % change||% Market share|
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire