Sony makes data grab with launch of smart wristband and Lifelog app
Sony has launched a Nike Fuel-style smart wristband at this year's CES exhibition, which links up to a new 'Lifelog' application that allows users to log their everyday activities.
Sony: SmartBand wearable device interacts with Xperia smartphones
The SmartBand wearable device is waterproof and designed to be worn 24/7, and is the first product in a new Sony SmartWear range, which will combine wearable devices with Xperia smartphones and the Lifelog app.
Lifelog can see if you have been "walking, running, cycling or travelling by train and how you’ve slept", says Sony
It also keeps a history of the photos the user has taken, the music they have listened to and social interactions with friends, and is part of a proposition to show "how much you live".
The app also has a "life bookmark" key that will allow you to log special occasions such as a visit to a great restaurant, a "beautiful" sunset or the hearing of an "amazing" song.
Adrian Moxley, chief marketing officer and co-founder at visual classification company WeSEE, said: "Based on use, [wearable] devices will be able to offer personal recommendations for entertainment, shopping and dining, and of course, keep us plugged into social."
"Brands must consider consumer concerns regarding the amount of personal data being collected on them. With many individuals fearing a 'Big Brother' style future, successful brands will be those that mine data and show consumers that they are doing so to provide superior user experiences."
Sony’s SmartBand is designed to "seamlessly" interact with smartphones and will vibrate when people receive a call, message or other notification.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Partnership Manager Movember Competitive, Clerkenwell, London (Greater)
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London