Fitness First aims to move brand upmarket with £225m global revamp
Fitness First has redesigned its corporate identity, replacing its blue logo with a red version, and is overhauling its gyms in a bid to move the brand upmarket, backed by an initial £1.5m marketing push.
The gym chain, which is investing £225m globally in upgrading its clubs and customer service, has spent the past two years conducting consumer research and working with fitness experts to inform its new brand positioning, which has been created with the help of branding agency The Clearing.
Fitness First is spending £1.5m on the first phase of a marketing campaign designed to communicate its repositioning to consumers. Ads are appearing across outdoor, press, digital and social media, as well as in its gyms.
The brand’s "fitness philosophy" has also been changed, adopting what it dubs "Dynamic Movement Training", a freestyle fitness regime based on natural movement. By 2015, all 2,200 Fitness First UK staff, from the chief executive to receptionists, will have attained a certified fitness qualification.
Other initiatives include 'Bio Age', a fitness test that measures gym members’ biological ages, and a fitness app that lets customers track their progress daily.
David Jones, Fitness First’s UK marketing director, said: "We are transforming our business based on what we’ve learnt. While our competitors are sales led and think it’s about the number of machines in the gym, we focus on our people, motivating members, our clubs, and our product."
Richard Buchanan, founder and director of consulting at The Clearing, added: "The strategy aims to deliver a new approach to fitness that won’t solely get you into fitness for a matter of time, but naturally introduces fitness into your life.
"Redefining the look and feel of the brand to reflect a contemporary apparel lifestyle image, a number of new brand innovations and features, as well as the new logo, will help to define a clear defendable territory for the brand."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)