Zoopla set to pull West Brom deal over Nicolas Anelka anti-Semitic controversy
Zoopla looks set to pull its multi-million pound sponsorship deal with Premier League team West Bromwich Albion if the club selects Nicolas Anelka, who has been accused of making an anti-Semitic gesture during a match.
West Bromwich Albion: Zoopla threatens withdrawal of shirt sponsorship
The striker celebrated a goal against West Ham earlier this month with the controversial "quenelle" gesture, which he claimed was in tribute to his friend, the French comedian Dieudonne.
The Football Association is investigating the matter, with Anelka facing a lengthy suspension if found guilty. However, until the investigation is complete, West Brom is free to select the Frenchman, including in today’s match against Everton – with reports suggesting he will be included in the squad.
Property website Zoopla, part-owned by Jewish businessman Alex Chesterman, has reportedly issued West Brom an ultimatum not to play Anelka until the investigation is complete, or else it will pull the plug on its shirt sponsorship deal with the club.
The estimated £3m, two-year deal began in 2012 and was set to expire in the summer.
A club spokesman said: "West Bromwich Albion will be making no further comment until the Football Association has concluded its investigation, and the club its own internal inquiry, into the matter."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Business Development Manager Pure360 £20,000 - £25,000 depending on experience. £45k OTE uncapped, Brighton
- Comms Planning Manager PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London