Affiliate marketing and lead-generation market hits £1bn with a 14:1 ROI, says IAB
UK advertisers spent £1bn on affiliate marketing and lead-generation activities in 2013, according to research commissioned by the Internet Advertising Bureau.
Online shopping: UK consumers made150 million purchases via affiliate websites in 2013
The PricewaterhouseCoopers’ online performance marketing study on affiliate marketing and lead generation, found the market increased 15% year on year and generated £14bn in sales – a return of £14 for every £1 spent.
The £14bn in sales primarily came through the most common forms of online performance marketing (OPM), which are price-comparison, voucher, cashback, loyalty and product-review websites.
Research claims that in 2013,
Dan Bunyan, a manager at PwC, said: "OPM generated around four billion clicks in 2013, the equivalent of 10 million per day or 120 per second, about 5% of which resulted in a transaction. This high conversion rate and the high return on investment explains the significant increase in advertisers (to 4,000) and publishers (to 12,000) now using OPM.
"It isn’t just the big publishers, or ‘super-affiliates’, who generate revenue through OPM. It’s opened up a new and growing industry among the ‘long tail’, where individuals and small publishers with specialist knowledge of a particular area can produce websites and then automatically generate advertising revenue."
Return on investment is so high because OPM sites such as Comparethemarket, TripAdvisor, Vouchercodes Nectar and Quidco only charge advertisers for the ad if it causes a defined action.
The defined actions include making a purchase (affiliate marketing) or submitting contact details (lead generation).
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)