House of Fraser considers appeal against Jack Wills logo ruling
House of Fraser is reportedly considering an appeal against a court ruling that stated the company infringed on the Jack Wills logo.
Jack Wills: takes steps to protect pheasant logo
Jack Wills took House of Fraser to court because the latter’s HoF Linea range logo, sporting a pigeon wearing a waistcoat, top hat and bow tie, was too similar to Jack Wills’ logo of a pheasant wearing a top hat and cane.
The judge on the case, Mr Justice Arnold, told the court that House of Fraser’s use of the logo took unfair advantage of Jack Will’s trademark in an attempt to enhance its own brand.
A spokesperson for House of Fraser said the company is "obviously disappointed and surprised" by the High Court’s decision, "especially since both House of Fraser and Jack Wills confirmed in court that there had been no instances of customer confusion."
Jeremy Hertzog, from the law firm representing Jack Wills, Mishcon de Reya, said in a statement: "This case is a paradigm example of a retailer sailing too close to the wind in aping the get-up of a famous brand for a lookalike product."
Last month House of Fraser revealed record Christmas results, with like-for-like sales in the three weeks to 28 December up 7.3%.
The results follow the company hiring Tony Holdway as director of brand in May last year, from his previous role a Wickes.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Presentation Designer Major Players negotiable, City of London