Fashion emerges as best-performing segment of ecommerce, claims report
The UK online fashion sector has grown 258% in five years, making it the best-performing segment across ecommerce, according to research from IMRG.
London Fashion Week: begins tomorrow
The fashion category of the IMRG Capgemini e-Retail Sales Index outperformed other categories for four of the five years between January 2009 and December 2013, with sales growing nearly 17% year on year, totalling £91bn in 2013 and accounting for 21% of all online retail.
Andrew McClelland, IMRG’s chief operations and policy officer, said: "We have seen changes in the way consumers buy clothing, such as the rise of mobile devices and click-and-collect, which have contributed to an increase in confidence when shopping online.
"This report will help fashion retailers understand industry-wide trends and how they might affect their sector and own performance."
According to IMRG, fashion retailers were slow off the mark in the early days of online retail "for a variety of reasons but today, eretail represents major opportunities for both multichannel and pureplay fashion retailers".
The news comes a day before London Fashion Week kicks off, with some high street and online retailers revealing their marketing activity earlier this week.
Yesterday, Marketing reported that Topshop is to live-stream a virtual reality experience of its London Fashion Week show taking place at the Tate Modern.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London