Beavers Strip Club & Bar has ad banned
Beavers Strip Club & Bar has had an ad banned for being irresponsible and likely to cause serious or widespread offence.
Beavers Strip Club & Bar: ASA rules that ad is likely to cause offence
The Advertising Standards Authority ruled that a regional press ad with a photograph taken from behind of a woman in lacy underwear, with the text, "Excuses … Sorry baby, the car broke down", should not appear again in its current form.
Two people complained that the ad was likely to cause widespread or serious offence, and was irresponsible because it would be widely seen throughout the local community.
The publisher of the Watford Observer, Newsquest, said it had reviewed Beavers’ ad before publication and asked the club to change the image, which originally included four images of women and additional wording.
The ASA ruled the text, "Sorry baby, the car broke down", suggested people visiting the club did so without the approval of their partners and that, given the sexual nature of the activity and the sexually suggestive image, was demeaning to women.
For that reason the ASA decided the ad was likely to cause serious or widespread offence.
As the ad took up half a page of the paper and included the sexually suggestive image of a woman, which itself took up more than a third of the ad, the ASA decided it was likely to be seen by the wider community and, because it was likely to cause serious or widespread offence, that was irresponsible.
The ASA has warned Beavers not to use images and text that were likely to cause serious or widespread offence in the medium in which they appear.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £65000 - £70000 per annum, London
- Account Director The Great & The Good £45000 - £50000 per annum, West End
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)