Microsoft's Xbox One takes fight to PS4 with £30 price cut
Microsoft is going on the attack in the gaming war between its Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4 (PS4) consoles by slashing the price of its device by £30, although it will still cost £50 more than Sony's machine.
Microsoft Xbox One: ups the stakes against Sony's Playstation 4 with £30 price cut
From Friday 28 February, the price of the Xbox One will drop to £399 from £429, and will also include the much-anticipated Xbox exclusive game ‘Titanfall’ in the package – the game currently costs £42 as a pre-order on Amazon. Microsoft hopes the move will help it catch up with Sony's sales figures.
Sony’s PS4 costs £349 without a game. Its new console is reported to have outsold Microsoft’s Xbox One by around two to one at 5.3 million units, but to date there has been little in the way of compelling gaming titles for either machine.
'Titanfall' is thought by many gaming journalists to be the most highly anticipated title so far for next-gen consoles, and Microsoft hopes its release will boost sales.
Harvey Eagle, Xbox’s UK marketing director who joined Microsoft in late 2012, replacing Stephen McGill, said: "The reason we're doing this is that we're committed to giving gamers the best value that we can. We're only a few months into a generation of consoles that are going to last for many many years to come."
The price cut tactic only applies to the console in the UK.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...
- Senior Product Manager - Technical/Engineering Brand Recruitment £50000 per annum + car and benefits, Hitchin