Paddy Power Oscar ad withdrawn by ASA
The Advertising Standards Authority has taken the rare step of withdrawing Paddy Power's controversial Oscar Pistorius ad pending its investigation.
Paddy Power: ad withdrawn
In only the third move of its kind, and only the second relating to an ad, the regulator’s chairman, Lord Smith, has directed Paddy Power to withdraw the ad after an "unprecedented number of complaints".
The text on the ad referred to the blade runner's murder trial and stated: "It’s Oscar time", "money back if he walks" and "we will refund all losing bets on the Oscar Pistorius trial if he is found not guilty".
The 5,200 complainants have asked the ASA to consider whether the ad is offensive for trivialising the issues surrounding a murder trial, the death of a woman and disability.
The ASA is also considering whether in doing so the ad brings the good reputation of advertising generally into dispute.
The only other ad to have been withdrawn in this way was Tango "pipes", which was banned in November 2004 (the same month the ASA took over responsibility for TV advertising) over fears children could hurt themselves copying the ad.
In the other occasion of such a move, the ASA once withdrew a leaflet for Pool.com over concerns it was encouraging under-18s to gamble.
Pistorius is currently being tried for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in his native South Africa.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)