SodaStream star Scarlett Johansson has 'no regrets' over Oxfam split
Hollywood actress Scarlett Johansson has said she has "no regrets" over her role in a SodaStream ad campaign, which led to her quitting as an ambassador for charity Oxfam.
Scarlett Johansson: maintains there is 'no right side or wrong side' on the SodaStream issue
Johansson appeared in an ad (see below) for the Israeli-based soft drinks firm which was due to be screened during the Super Bowl broadcast in the US, but was banned by broadcaster Fox due to the inclusion of the line "Sorry, Coke and Pepsi".
Oxfam, which had used Johansson as an ambassador since 2007, subsequently came under fire from pro-Palestinian campaigners over the fact that SodaStream has a factory in a disputed Israeli settlement in the West Bank territory.
The charity issued a statement that said it was "considering the implications" of Johansson’s partnership with SodaStream, only for the actress to end her ties with Oxfam, citing "a fundamental difference of opinion" over the matter.
In an interview with The Observer, Johansson said: "I stand behind that decision."
She added: "I was aware of that particular factory before I signed. And it still doesn't seem like a problem – at least not until someone comes up with a solution to the closing of that factory and leaving all those people destitute."
Johansson said that the argument against the SodaStream factory was far from clear cut. "I think that's something that's very easily debatable," she said.
"In that case, I was literally plunged into a conversation that's way grander and larger than this one particular issue. And there's no right side or wrong side leaning on this issue."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)