Starbucks set to roll out 'order ahead' mobile service
Starbucks is "actively working" on a smartphone service that would let consumers order coffee before they get to a store, through its mobile app.
Starbucks: plans order ahead service via smartphone
In an interview with Bloomberg, Adam Brotman, chief digital officer at the brand, said Starbucks was "actively working" on the service that would let people order coffee or food while standing in line or before they enter a store, in order to save time.
Brotman said: "It's something our consumers have asked for. We're not revealing lots of details about it now."
He added that Howard Schultz, Starbucks' chief executive, was "working directly on all the mobile plans and vision we're putting together".
Shultz gave over his day-to-day duties as chief executive to Troy Alstead, the company's chief operating officer, last month, to focus on "next generation" retail, digital and mobile payments, Starbucks' loyalty programme, and e-commerce developments.
"He's very involved," Brotman said.
The Starbuck's app is already getting an update this Wednesday 19 March to include a new "shake-to-pay" service and a barista-tipping service.
Brotman said more than 11% of Starbucks' transactions are done through mobile device in the US, with that number set to double in the next year.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)