Philip Green vows to undercut supermarkets by 10% with new BHS food offering
Arcadia boss Sir Philip Green has vowed to challenge the UK's biggest supermarkets with BHS' new food offering, by getting "competitive" on price.
BHS: Sir Philip Green says store chain will undercut supermarkets with new food offering
Green has revealed BHS will undercut the likes of Tesco by 10% on branded goods, as he acknowledged that the department store is entering the grocery market at its most competitive moment "for some time".
The first two BHS stores to begin selling food are located in Staines and
"There’s no point opening up and getting torn apart because we haven’t got competitive prices," said Topshop-owner Green.
"We know what we’re getting into – the most competitive food landscape for some time. On the basis that everyone is going into the high street and convenience, maybe it’s an opportunity.
"If you don’t buy a ticket you can’t win the lottery," he added
The price war between
The response was partly driven by the success of budget grocery retailers, and followed on the heels of Asda’s announcement in January that its investment of £50m in price promotions would make discounters like Aldi and Lidl look "expensive".
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London