The Sun aims to boost social footprint with daily #hashtag stories
News UK's most popular daily newspaper, The Sun, is claiming an industry first as it prints dedicated hashtags alongside its news stories.
The Sun: to print dedicated hashtags alongside its news stories
The move is designed to encourage readers of the tabloid newspaper to share their thoughts online and extend the digital reach of Sun stories.
It is part of a concerted push by News UK to develop more of a significant presence for The Sun since it placed all its digital content behind a paywall in August 2013.
The publisher has recruited a dedicated Sun social media team led by former Daily Telegraph journalist James Manning.
Hashtags already printed by The Sun include #cordencameron, which accompanied guest editor James Corden's interview with the Prime Minister for Sport Relief and #scrumbag accompanying an interview with Rugby League love cheat Andy Powell.
Going forward, the newspaper will publish a selection of hashtags everyday to accompany specific stories. News UK claims the initiative will "provide a simple mechanic to connect offline and online conversations amongst Sun print readers, digital subscribers and social media followers".
David Dinsmore, editor of The Sun, said: "The Sun has always powered the nation’s conversation, but by printing hashtags alongside our news we are making it easy for readers to share their opinions and continue the story online. In an increasingly digital world, it will also help a whole new generation discover Sun content and our unique brand of journalism."
The Sun has more than five million followers on Twitter and over a million Facebook fans.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Agile Programme Manager - Games / Mobile / software development Digital Gurus £55000 - £72000 Per Annum, London