Wu-Tang Clan to emulate contemporary art by selling only one copy of new album
Sitting in a vault in the outskirts of Marrakesh lies an engraved silver and nickel box that contains the only copy of the Wu-Tang Clan's Once Upon a Time in Shaolin album.
Wu-Tang Clan and the only copy of Once Upon a Time in Shaolin
"The music industry is in crisis," argues the Wu-Tang Clan. "Creativity has become disposable and value has been stripped out. Mass production and content saturation have devalued both our experience of music and our ability to establish its value."
The only copy of the 31 track album will not be made available digitally and can only be available to hear under the tightest security conditions at festivals, museums and art galleries such as the Tate Modern.
Wu-Tang Clan hopes to eventually sell the one copy of the album for millions of dollars, with the owner of the album free to mass produce the album if they wish.
In a blog post, Wu-Tang Clan producers Cilvaringz and RZA said: "Contemporary art is worth millions by virtue of its exclusivity. This album is a piece of contemporary art."
Brand: Wu-Tang Clan
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...