Arcadia expands into India with Dorothy Perkins range
Arcadia Group, owned by tycoon Sir Philip Green, is to make its first move into the Indian market through a partnership with ecommerce platform Jabong.
Sir Philip Green: owner of the Arcadia Group
The retailer will offer a range of Dorothy Perkins products through Jabong, which recently received a £20m investment from the UK Government via a development fund aimed at boosting businesses in the region.
According to a report in the Daily Mail, it is understood that Arcadia is also in talks with other Indian firms about rolling out Topshop and Miss Selfridge ranges in the country.
Green said: "It’s all going very rapidly at the moment. This is early days and we have to experiment, try things out and look at ways of doing things as we look at different markets."
Many UK brands are known to view India as an as-yet untapped opportunity for growth. Earlier this month, Tesco revealed plans to run 12 retail stores in India, after forging a joint venture with Indian conglomerate Tata Group.
The supermarket chain will invest around £85m in a partnership with Tata-owned Trent Limited, which already operates the Star Bazaar retail brand in the country.
Separately, last week, Arcadia vowed to undercut the UK’s "big four" supermarkets with the launch of a new food offering through department store chain BHS.
The first two BHS stores to begin selling food are located in Staines and Warrington, with around 140 outlets expected to follow.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Digital Activation Manager - Fastest Mobile Network Brand!! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits, City of London